Student Centers and Activities offers a wide variety of opportunities to develop, explore, challenge, and test your leadership potential. These outside-of-the-classroom experiences give our students a competitive edge in the internship, graduate school, and career processes.
A scholarly article titled Student Involvement: A Developmental Theory for Higher Education by Dr. Alexander Astin, published in the Journal of College Student Development, indicated that students who choose to get involved in extracurricular activities are less likely to drop out, are more involved academically, and experience a higher level of student learning and personal development than those who do not.
In addition, a Job Outlook Survey conducted by the National Association of College Employers (NACE), identified the top five personal qualities/skills employers seek in hiring college graduates: verbal and written communications skills, strong work ethic, teamwork skills, initiative, and interpersonal skills.
Organizational opportunities at Rutgers-New Brunswick that aid in the development of these skills or competencies include:
- Student Organization Officers/Members: over 500 unique organizations on campus
- Learn more at getINVOLVED.rutgers.edu
- Student Government
- Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA): Student government representatives, Assembly Members, or Allocations Board Members
- Student Government Council Representatives or Senators (Rutgers Business School, Rutgers Pharmacy School, Mason Gross, Douglass Residential College, Rutgers Engineering School, and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences)
- Advisory Board Members
- Rutgers Commuter Student Association (RCSA)
- Rutgers University Programming Association (RUPA)
- Religious and spiritual experiences on campus
- Peer Training for Organization Office Training
- Student Centers and Activities Interns
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
The Student Involvement and Leadership team strives to create organizational opportunities that fit any interest, schedule, or skill set. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, contact us at email@example.com so that we can connect you with the appropriate university staff member, department or campus partner.